Saturday 29 December 2007

He was a courageous person, always ready to face any challenge

I met Saleem during Eid festival in my island Fiyoaree while he was conducting "vaadhemun" competition. I was head of "Venbolha Team". I still remember his jokes about my team member's late attendance to hold the rope. He was saying that "all venbolha's" are late due to high tide.  He had a great sense of humour.

I worked with him during November 10 preparations. He had the knowledge and courage to control and lead the crowd. He shared lots of knowledge with me while he was in house arrest.

In jail, he was the one who controlled the Number 5th cell of Dhoonidhoo prison in which 60 inmates were presented during November 10. He was the one who started prayers to bring down current regime from power. All inmates joined with him. He organised and instructed the supplications after every prayer till he was transferred to house arrest.

As the legal director of MDP, I would say that I had represented 135 different people on behalf of MDP during police interrogation and I found that there are few people who are brave to face the police. Saleem includes with these few people. He was a courageous person, always ready to face any challenge. His death was a collateral damage to MDP Gaafu Dhaalu Dhaaira.

May Allah rest his soul in peace and bless his family and friends.

Nazil Afeef
Legal Director, MDP Secretariat

No comments: